Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Middle aged, lost hair on the front top of head. What should i do?

i am 30 years old female over last ten years i have lost hair on the front top of my head now i have very scanty hair in this area also if i oil & massage my hair i loose double hair when i take head bath i loose more hair thats why i am scared of massaging & taking head bath i want to increase the number of hair on the top front side of my head please help
Asked On : Wed, 20 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  42
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi swetadevi, don't worry. Hair loss occurs in around 50% of men & women. Drugs used in this condition help to reduce hair loss & to maintain the existing hair, than in stimulating regrowth of hair.
Rule out anaemia & fungal infection of scalp as they may cause excessive hair loss.
You can try 5% Minoxidil solution. It is applied topically. It reduces hair loss & thickens the hair shafts. It acts by improving the microcirculation around hair follicles.
Sweta, you should be aware of the following points while using this drug
1. The effect is not seen immediately as the drug takes few months to act.
2. The hair growth may not be adequate.
3. The effect of the drug is temporary & the hair loss recurs if the drug is stopped.
4. It may result in itching. it may also cause contact dermatitis.
5. Since there is a risk of hair growth in other unwanted places the hands should be washed every time after using Minoxidil.
Answered: Wed, 20 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Kalpana Pathak's  Response
Hi Sweta,
It seems probably you are suffering from androgenetic alopecia.
Treatment for the same is in the form of minoxidil 2 percent solution to be applied twice daily over scalp. Sometimes we also prescribe anti androgens like cyproterone or aldactone orally to control hair fall. One may also go with sessions of scalp mesotherapy to control hair fall .
I would advise that you consult a dermatologist nearby as all these are prescription drugs and a proper follow up is required while being on these medicines.
Hope that helps. Take care
Answered: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor