Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

MRI shows degenerative disc narrowing, presence of prevertebral osteophytes, diffuse disc bulging, neural foraminal stenosis. Indications?

Dear Doctor Can you help me understand the severity of my cervical mri. Am I looking at surgery. nerve pain bi lateral through shoulder, arms and into middle and ring fingers. back and neck pain . the pins and needs into my hands is so bad that I have to sleep sitting with an ice pack. My MRI results are as follows: straighting of the acervical curvature. degenerative disc narrowing is prsent including c-5 c-6 and c6- c7. Small prevertebral osteophytes are present . c3 -c4 mild diffuse disc bulging uncinate process spurring. moderate right neural foraminal stenosis . c4-c5 mild diffuse disc bulging mild facet degeneration and uncinate process spurring mild righ neural foraminal stenosis c5-c6 mild diffuse disc bulging larger in the left paracertral region. mild central canal stenosis with mild moderate spinal cord deformity , greater on left. Uncinate process spurring. Marked left neural foraminal stenosis. c6-c7 mild diffuse disc bulging. mild spinal cord deformity but relative patencyor central canal. this may be associated with hypertrophy or early ossification of posterior longitudinal ligament. Thank you
Asked On : Wed, 13 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  299
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

Your symptoms are suggestive of cervical radiculopathy, where pain, tingling or numbness may occur in the arm upto fingers, due to compression of the nerves in the neck region.

MRI findings suggest mild compression of the nerves.

In the initial phase, medical treatment along with physiotherapy would be sufficient. Medications helpful in this condition are pregabalin or gabapentin. I would advise you to start these.

If your condition does not get better, you may see a neurosurgeon for a possibility of surgery.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology)

Senior Consultant Neurologist

Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,

My personal URL on this website:

My email:
Answered: Thu, 14 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor