Ligament injury in knee. Is an operation the only cure to this ?

Hi Doctor . I am 24 yrs old and working for an IT company. I suffered a left knee ligament injury in Feb2010. I had jumped up in the air while playing football and landed badly. It felt as if the bone got dislocated and again got back into place. Got a swelling in the knee region and consulted a physiotherapist and doctor. They said it might be a partial tear and advised exercises to strengthen the region. But again in May2011 i twisted my knee and the bone got dislocated. I was taken to a hospital and while doing the Xray they tried to straighten my leg and with a click sound the bone got back into place! Doctor said i am having a ligament tear and torn meniscus. I am having a swelling in the region above my knee cap and slight pain if pressed in the inside region of my knee. Is an operation the only cure to this? The swelling hasnt disappeared completely and i cant bend my knee fully. If i delay the operation by 3 months, what repercussions might i suffer?
Wed, 18 May 2011