Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Ligament injury in knee. Is an operation the only cure to this ?

Hi Doctor . I am 24 yrs old and working for an IT company. I suffered a left knee ligament injury in Feb2010. I had jumped up in the air while playing football and landed badly. It felt as if the bone got dislocated and again got back into place. Got a swelling in the knee region and consulted a physiotherapist and doctor. They said it might be a partial tear and advised exercises to strengthen the region. But again in May2011 i twisted my knee and the bone got dislocated. I was taken to a hospital and while doing the Xray they tried to straighten my leg and with a click sound the bone got back into place! Doctor said i am having a ligament tear and torn meniscus. I am having a swelling in the region above my knee cap and slight pain if pressed in the inside region of my knee. Is an operation the only cure to this? The swelling hasnt disappeared completely and i cant bend my knee fully. If i delay the operation by 3 months, what repercussions might i suffer?
Asked On : Tue, 17 May 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  428
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
kemon ashchi Das babu?
Thank you for asking the question. Being an Arthroscopy & sports injury surgeon I can tell you one thing for sure, you're already done with one life line..when it was a partial tear. Allow us to know whether an MRI is done,if so what specific ligament or meniscus is torn? You could get away on medicines and physiotherapy so far. But a complete tear of your anterior crutiate ligament (+/-posterior crutiate lig,+/- posterolateral complex) and a torn meniscus does warrant an Arthroscopic (pin hole) surgery. Unfortunately a torn crutiate ligament NEVER heals on its own. What needs to be done for ligaments is a RECONSTRUCTION using your Hamstring tendons(either Semi tendinosus or Semi membranosus or both) and partial or complete meniscectomy (removal) for torn meniscus(again depending on the type of tear). But let me tell you, these procedures have been very successful and the good part is that you might return to your sporting activity soon(with some good sessions of physiotherapy ofcourse). The only question now remains is WHEN to operate. Lets say an average of 6 months post injury. It depends on how early the swelling subsides and knee remains infection free. Till then I must say you have to complete a course of antibiotics, anti inflammatory medicines. You may use a hinged knee brace meanwhile to tackle the instability while walking. Hope this helps you decide the course of action. You need to go to an Arthroscopy & Sports injury surgeon. Do mail for more info.
Bhalo theko
Answered: Wed, 18 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor