Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Leg injury, bruise increasing. Concerned about swelling and itching

i hurt my leg(below my knees and above my ankle) during a football match. immediately after the accident the area turned green which usually does not happen in normal bruises. normally it takes time for the bruise to start coloring. after few hours it starting turning purple. and now after 9 days of accident the bruise area is increasing and moving downwards. i have read in the earlier articles that its a good thing that the bruise is spreading but m concerned because the areas are turnign blue and swelling up as well and itching too. do i need to worry? should i see the doc?
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  314
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and thanks for the query
In my opinion you must see a doctor and rule out any fracture or possible infection. Its good that bruise is going downward but increased swelling and itching is a matter of concern. Till you get the opinion from your doctor follow some instructions:
1. Keep the leg elevated as much as you can.
2. Wipe an elastic bandage on the part.
3. Do alternated hot and cold fermentation.
4. Take anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce swelling.
5. Take complete rest and do not wear weight on the leg.
Hope this will help you and get consult your doctor as soon as possible.
Best wishes
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
The bruise which you got while playing foot ball match is a hematoma (collection of blood under skin or muscle) the hematoma changes various colour till it disappears,
The downward spread of hematoma is ok, as it will spread dawn due to gravity. However the swelling and itching is matter of concern, which need to be addressed.
The itching and swelling could be due to super added infection, which need to be treated.
You should consult a doctor .you may need a course of antibiotic and analgesic, anti inflammatory drugs.
Hope I answered your question
Answered: Sun, 21 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor