Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

What causes persistent testicular pain after hydrocele surgery?

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 16135 Questions
I had surgery the day before thanksgiving on my left testicle. I had 3 hydroceles. My testys hurt really bad and i ran out of pain medicine about 5 days later. 9 days after the surgery they still hurt very bad. I went into a rage in my home and apparently freaked out causing damage to items in my home. I dont remember doing this but my wife told me what i had done. She said i was confused and had a weird look on my face that scared her. I had drank some cocktails that night along with some beer as i have done several times before. Could this rage have been some kind of result from the surgery or maybe blood poisoning? 2 days after this happened my sac leaked a bunch of liquid filled blood. Llke maybe 1/2 a cup full. Please Help!
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol could have caused rage - Surgery can not cause this.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
Noted the history well and understood the concerns.
The events look as follows:
Surgery can have pain due to surgical trauma. But pain after hydrocele surgery is minimal or nil after a few days if you take rest and there are no complications which in your case can be either hematoma formation which eventually leaked out and/or testicular torsion if the pain was so severe.
This can be best diagnosed by the Ultrasonography with color doppler examination and I think you should have gone for this.
Alcohol in any form after surgery is very detrimental as it causes the edema and increase bleeding tendency. The rage can follow alcohol.
Surgery does not cause any rage.
Blood poisoning could have caused fever with chills and the escaped fluid would have been pus and not liquid filled pus.
Hence I would advise you the following in such a situation:
Go back to ER or the Hospital where surgery was done for clinical examination and insist for ultrasonography and color doppler examination to know what is going on inside scrotum, tests of blood and urine and get an additional treatment as needed.
Do not take alcohol at all.
Take Ibuprofen if it suits you for control of swelling and pain.
Scrotal support is very important.

Please give feedback.
I hope this answer helps you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor