Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Is there a treatment for artery blocking a heart ?

I just found out that my mom has an artery that is blocking her heart and if she gets stressed out ny anything she may have a stroke, what can I do? my mom went to the doctor today and they told her that by the test she took and the attck she had about a week ago was a mild heart attack and their is an artery that is blocking her heart which makes her tired and has the symtoms that she has. Am I going to lose my mom becasuse of this? already lost my dad.
Asked On : Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Answers:  1 Views:  607
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
  User's Response
I am an RN and work on a cardiac floor of my hospital. There are a few options for your mother. The cardiologist should peform a procedure called an angiogram or cardiac catheterization. This is done in the hospital in which the doctor thrreads a catheter through an artery in the groin area up to the coronary arteries of the heart and injects a dye to see how severe the blockage is. If the blockage isnt so bad then the doctor can place a stent and "push back" the plaque thats causing the blockage. This procedure is pretty easy and your mom at most would probably stay overnight. If the blockage is more severe she may need open heart surgery in which the doctor takes her to surgery and uses a vein from her leg to bypass the blocked artery. She would most likely have to be in the hospital for 3-5 days for open heart surgery. I hope this info helps and hope for the best for you and your mom.
Answered: Mon, 14 Dec 2009
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor