Is hardening of arteries same as scurvy ?

Fri, 30 Aug 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
Hardening of the arteries is also called atherosclerosis and is due to fatty deposits such as cholesterol within the artery. These form plaques or atheroma which can have the effect of hardening the artery.
Scurvy is a disease due to lack of vitamin C and it affects collagen.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB FRCA

Hardening of the arteries is a lay term used to describe their blockage with cholesterol which does eventually become quite hard and brittle. Scurvy is the condition sailors used to get on long sea voyages due to lack of vitamin C. It was cured initially by the ships carrying lime juice, which resulted in one of the nicknames of British sailors becoming 'limeys'.