Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Injury to right shin, bruising, lump on shin bone, no pain in area. Bone fracture?

I had a knock on my right shin from playing soccer. It was painful but after icing, I resumed playing in the same match. There was bruising in the area. Now after slightly over 2 months, I can feel like there is a slight lump on the shin bone. Is this indication of bone healing . Do you think there was any fracture? I feel no pain in the area when running.
Asked On : Sat, 20 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  3661
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Andy,
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
You can have an underlying tibia fracture or a soft tissue injury or a hematoma.
Because there is a possibility of fracture the same needs to be ruled out because it needs definite management.
The other two possibilities usually resolve with rest.
If you have a fracture and still doing exercises; it is like whipping a tired horse, you can understand- it may lead to further harm.
I would like you to get an Xray of the affected leg anteroposterior and lateral views and review to a local orthopedician and follow the advise further.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Answered: Sat, 20 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Critical Care Specialist Dr. Sadiq Mughal's  Response

Hi thanks for your question.

You had injured your shin while playing soccer.
There were bruising over the injured place and now you’re having swelling over the site.
There could be a small hematoma (collection of blood under skin) which has not resolved till date or there was a green stick fracture which has healed producing small swelling.

The best way to differentiate between the 2 is go for X-Ray of your Tibia (shin bone)
consult some physician who will examine the X-Ray to rule out any previous fracture.
Hope I answered your question.
Answered: Sat, 20 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

This slight lump on the shin after two month of injury is most probably organised haematoma which might get fibrosed.

So if it is painless do not get worry about this. Give hot fomatation, it will dissolve gradually within few weeks.

Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor