• question-icon

In a healthy person, what role are the oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes playing, and what is their difference?

In general, a change in a single allele of an oncogene can result in tumor growth or cancer, while it takes two changes in both alleles of tumor suppressor genes. How do you explain this difference? What do these genes code for normally? In a healthy person, what role are the oncogenes and tumor suppressor genes playing, and how do they do it?
Fri, 26 Jul 2013
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I will explain to you briefly the difference between tumor suppressor genes and oncogenes.
Oncogenes are coded by proteins called proto-oncogenes.
Proto-oncogenes are encoded by two alleles.
Mutation of any one of the alleles converts proto-oncogene to oncogene.
Oncogene is responsible for particular malignancy.
The role of proto-oncogene in health is to keep a check on uncontrolled growth of cells.

Tumor suppressor genes are encoded by two alleles.
Mutation of both these alleles is required for development of malignancy.
Tumor suppressor genes in health also prevent development of malignancy.

Mutation of these genes may be genetic or is caused by chemicals, physical damage like radiations, etc.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja p Wahal
HI
Thank for asking very good question to HCM,
No it is not the case, : The two hit Hypothesis" has to be fulfilled for complete clinical manifestation, generally cell has got the ability to die ( Programmed apoptosis ) but the damaged gene (Altered, mutated) does not let the gene die and transforming it into unregulated, uncontrolled growth, and for that both allele should be attack simultaneously, and that categorized in two groups, Oncogene & tumor suppressor genre applies dominant and recessive respectively, The tumor suppressor gene has got ability to promote apoptosis,the normally the code is for protein for given physiological task, hope this will clear the doubt have nice day.