• question-icon

I have some sores on my areola, had mastitis

I am 24 and currently breastfeeding my 2nd child who is just barely 1 month old. I recently had mastitis and will finish my dicloxacillin tomorrow. Yesterday in the early morning feeding I noticed some sores on my areola above and just below the nipple. They are painful to the touch and sting if my baby nurses or milk gets to the sores. I have stopped breastfeeding on that side and have been nuring on ther other side along with bottles of previously pumped milk.
Mon, 16 Apr 2012
Sexologist 's  Response
Best judgement for feeding can be given by your family doctor.
If there is no mixing of pus to the breast milk , it is better to continue with breast feeding.
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Hello.
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic forum.
The sores you saw might be the cause of mastitis you had.You need to stop feeding your baby from that side until the infection subsides.After finishing dicloxacillin, locaL ANTIBIOTIC spray or ointment application will help you.Hot fomentation will reduce the pain.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
drrakhitayal@gmail.com