• question-icon

How to treat the lumbar scoliosis?

I am 56 and have over the years developed mild to moderate scoliosis in lumbar region. Back surgeon told me little how to correct it; PT means well but they are not telling specific muscles to stretch or strengthen. They ve given some good general stretches but I want to aggressively and scientifically reverse this. Should I bring the dray to PT with me and ask for more specifics? Can scoliosis be reversed?
Thu, 26 Nov 2015
Neurologist 's  Response
If scoliosis is mild, it might not require any treatment. Only if its moderate to severe degree or for cosmetic reasons, its need to be corrected. And the treatment of scoliosis is primarily surgical. Medicines are not effective. Physiotherapy can help in strengthening the back muscles and help in halting progression of scoliosis, but physiotherapy cant correct the scoliosis. Dont be aggresive on exercise because it can cause overstreching of ligaments and can be hazardous