How to treat pin and needles in hands and legs?

My 64 years old Mum experienced pins and needles in both hands and feet a couple of days ago, as it got worse she went to the hospital. They have done an MRI scan and all is clear. She is now waiting for the results back from the scan they did on her neck/throat. They have suggested it might have been a mini stroke. Does this sound right to you? And also, should she be taking it easy whilst she waits to hear? She says she feels fine and isn't slowing down at all but I'm worried she should be resting more. Many Thanks
Mon, 26 May 2014
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Besyde nerve root compression, other causes of numbness, tingling include injury to the back or spinal cord, Lack of blood supply as a result of plaque formation in the blood vessels, diabetes, stroke, multiple sclerosis and underactive thyroid. Abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body and a lack of vitamin B12 can also cause tingling sensations.

Firstly, I’ll request you to get your blood sugar/HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) tested to rule out Diabetes mellitus. Also get your thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms improve.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.