How to get rid of dry coughing with history of respiratory infection?

I had an upper resp infection 2 weeks ago that cleared up within a couple days, turned into persistent dry coughing, then turned into what was diagnosed as a sinus infection. Antibiotics have made everything but the coughing better. Cold air and drinking water makes it worse and the medications given to be to suppress the cough isn't working. It gets worse during the night, and the watery liquid I cough up is draining into my right lung and I can feel it going in there. I do have a history of post nasal drip, but nothing as bad as this. What on earth is making the cough not go away and making the watery stuff be produced?
Thu, 3 Jul 2014