How to control blood pressure?

I have being recently diagnosed with high blood pressure.How to keep my blood pressure within normal limits..
Sat, 4 May 2013
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Treatment/Therapy
Neurologist 's  Response
If you are diagnosed with high blood pressure you might be started with antihypertensive drugs you need to continue it regularly and review every 2 week till it is controlled and then once monthly checked.Consult cardiologist /general physician for same.

Lifestyle plays an important role in treating your high blood pressure. If you successfully control your blood pressure with a healthy lifestyle, you may avoid, delay or reduce the need for medication.Below mentioned are the lifestyle modification which helps to control blood pressure

Lose extra pounds and watch your waistline.Regular physical activity — at least 30 to 60 minutes most days of the week — can lower your blood pressure by 4 to 9 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg)
Eating a diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and low-fat dairy products and skimps on saturated fat and cholesterol can lower your blood pressure by up to 14 mm Hg. This eating plan is known as the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet.Even a small reduction in the sodium in your diet can reduce blood pressure by 2 to 8 mm Hg. The recommendations for reducing sodium are:

Limit sodium to 2,300 milligrams (mg) a day or less.
Alcohol can be both good and bad for your health. In small amounts, it can potentially lower your blood pressure by 2 to 4 mm Hg. But that protective effect is lost if you drink too much alcohol — generally more than one drink a day for women and men older than age 65, or more than two a day for men age 65 and younger.Avoid tobacco products and secondhand smoke.Cut back on caffeine.Stress or anxiety can temporarily increase blood pressure. Take some time to think about what causes you to feel stressed, such as work, family, finances or illness. Once you know what's causing your stress, consider how you can eliminate or reduce stress.

Anonymous's Response
Anonymous's  Response
When my BP was 160/90 (and my sugar was also (129(FBS)/224(PPBS)) I started consuming beets, garlic, onion, carrots, curd, cucumber, leafy veg. Beets help a lot. Banned all engineered Oils and fats. More raw food (salads/fruits/etc) and all VEG diet (no NON veg) Now after 10 weeks i am at 120/80. I could barely do 2 floors stairs climb and would start panting. Now can do 5 floors without any problems. Stopped using lift completely.

No PILLS.

Even my sugar is well within the normal range (60/92)
I consume lots of Fenugreek Cinnamon, Corriander, Flaxseed (all powdered at home). Will be adding Blackseed and Flaxseed oil also to routine soon.

No Coke/Pepsi/Pizza/Tetrapack stuff. They are all POISON for body.
Lots of Alkaline water (3 l+/day) ... the best beverage
Lots of Organic Green tea (5-7 cups) mixed with basil leaves.
Milk with turmeric etc.
biju's  Response
Hi man,you should always Keep in mind that high blood pressure is usually present for many years before its complications develop. The idea, therefore, is to treat hypertension early, before it damages important organs in the body. Accordingly, increased public awareness and screening programs to detect early, uncomplicated hypertension are the keys to successful treatment of high blood pressure. By treating high blood pressure successfully early enough, you can significantly decrease the risk of stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure.The goal for patients with combined systolic and diastolic hypertension is to attain a blood pressure of 140/85 mm Hg. Bringing the blood pressure down even lower, as mentioned earlier, may be desirable in African American patients, and patients with diabetes or chronic kidney disease. Although life style changes in pre-hypertensive patients is appropriate, it is not well established that treatment with medication of patients with pre-hypertension is beneficial.
clara wilkerson's  Response

my most recent blood pressure reading was 144/97. I am currently on a regimen of 50mg of metoprolol (twice daily). should mt blood pressure be considered high even with medication?