How does eating foods with hight sodium affect the heart ?

How does eating foods with hight sodium affect the heart (heart attacks) and how long does it take?
Thu, 17 Dec 2009
's  Response
By increasing your BP., this can lead to heart attack.

how sodium affects heart disease patients?

Hi, I m a 19 year old female and I am struggling with bulimia. Let me start from the beginning: I was always thin, I was never overweight. But I got self-conscious because I was eating more than those girls that ate salads for dinner--and I didn t ever get fat or anything. But I got it into my head that my face was swollen and my cousin told me it s because of too much salt because salt retains water. After that, it was down hill from there. I first started out eating my meals and then vomiting it all out; then my stomach shrank so I barely ate anything at all, to the point where I was pretty frail. I hated that part the most. I m getting a little better; I eat more now and I have gained some weight. My only problem is that I am VERY afraid of sodium because I don t want my face to appear swollen --I like how my face looks when I eat little or no salt (I eat unsalted macaroni, mini wheats cereal with no sodium, etc... food that has very little salt or none at all). If I eat something salty, I still always throw it up. That s my problem. It s been almost a year and a half now too. There is one thing that really, really worries me. I haven t had my period for this entire time. I was never one who had a regular period... it would sometimes come in 28 days, sometimes in 38 days; sometimes it would be in the middle of the month, sometimes in the beginning or end of the month. However, I m really scared that I have done something to my body. The thing I am most scared about is that I am infertile now... can that happen?? I love kids, and I would love to have some someday when I get married (I m saving myself for marriage). I cannot afford therapy as my parents are in major debt (and I m a full time college student and work part time). However, I believe I am getting better. I need some facts though... I am REALLY scared about my woman problems. I still want to be healthy and I still want to have kids someday. Please, I beg you, help me out. Is it possible for me to have kids still one day? What can I do to help myself get over this bulimia and sodium phobia? Thanks for taking the time to read this; I really appreciate it. A

Hi, I have a question on how much sodium intake (mg a day)should a lady with severe heart and kidney disease, would you recommend for a daily intake goal? My mother in law has had congestive heart failure, and she only has 1 kidney left, as her other kidney was removed due to cancer. We are trying to come up with a no/ low salt diet for her, and she s picky as all get out. Please help.

Recent questions on  Heart attack

my father is a heart patient and resently they got second heart attack and inbetween the treatment we found that they are surviving on one kedney, his one kidney is colleps because of calcium deposited in the veins. now from last three weaks they r havin sevear muscullar pain in hole body , indisation , diahrea and disentry. they r taking medicins 1. cardarone 200 mg 2. doxolin 400 3. atorsave 10 mg, 4. nitract 2.5 mg and depllet 75mg. please sugest me for these probllems how can i hendle it. pravin

Hi, I am 55 years old Indian. Suffered and survived a heart attack in year 2000. Angiogram was done and about 30 % of LAD was blocked. Doctor advised not to do stenting, only on medications and was advice to take care diet and exercise. Currently on tab enalapril and aspirin. Missed heart beat is worrying me. Pls advice

hi doctor
my husband has a heart attack patient ,his 1st attack time he pass the urine with blood and starting the pain
and he hospitalized,the doctor found 2 block ,one block is 90% and another one is 30% .The doctor suggested to angioplasty and it is done ,30% block is reduce through medicine.But the problem is that last week my husband has 2nd attack and same symptoms is found urine with blood and doctor is said the 30% block is increase to 40% and he suggested to angioplasty. please tell me why the doctor is suggest to do angioplasty and why this symptoms(urine with blood) shows.

My brother in law has been to the er twice now and has been sick for two months. Nobody can seem to figure out what is wrong with him. His chest hurts, he feels like his heart is beating irregular and he is very dizzy and his hand even keeps getting numb. He had a heart attack about 5 years ago. Do you know what might be the problem?

A cat scan for the lungs revealed atherosclerosis of the great vessels , aorta and coronary arteries. Aorta and pulmonary arteries are normal in caliber. Heart and and pericardium are within normal limits. There are no significant mediastinal or...

My father is 91 and his systolic is 228. Don't know the other number. Should I worry?

Hello Doctor, I have had some wisdom tooth pain and went to doctor, he advised me to use hydrogen preoxide one week and lets try the infection go. He took xray of wisdom tooth and said all other looks good. He further said as I have never been to...