Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

How can I treat certain bald patches on my skin ?

i m 21yrs old. i dont have hair in the centre of moustache and improper beard. no chest hair . lost hair at sides of forehead and not grown. all of this for past 6 yrs. feeling embaressed. Kindly help doctor ... does onion help?
Asked On : Sat, 4 Jun 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
Dear friend,

You seem to be suffering from Alopecia universalis( hair loss in different areas like scalp and face) .There are many reasons behind this. One of them is described as autoimmune diseases in which your own immune system starts acting against your tissues. An other important cause is endocrine diseases especially Thyroid deficiency. Some drugs may also lead to this malady. In other cases the cause may not be recognized. You must consult a good dermatologist and undergo the required laboratory tests to ascertain the cause.

The various types of treatments available are local medication, Hair transplant and oral or injectable steroids.

One such over the counter alopecia treatment is Minoxidil. This is a topical solution that is rubbed into the scalp and other patches of alopecia, twice a day to prevent future hair loss and stimulate regrowth. It comes in two different options, there's the 2% and 5% solution. When using this solution some people may experience hair loss slow down, while others may see hair loss slow down and also regrowth.

The results are usually seen after around several months of daily use and this will only continue for as long as the solution is used. That is to say, once you stop using the solution your hair loss will revert back to before the treatment was started. As with any medication, there can be potential side effects. So it is always recommended, before taking any medication to consult your doctor.
Answered: Sat, 4 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor