Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Heart pounding, sickness, off balance, tingling in right foot after consuming alcohol. Allergic reactions?

Why do I turn red and hot after I drink? But it doesn t happen everytime... I also wake up with the worst hangovers. My heart pounds, so it s hard for me to sleep, I feel sick and off balance, and not all there in the head. I ve also been noticing tingling in my right foot after consuming alcohol. What is this? Is it an allergic reaction? How can I get the symptoms to stop?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response

Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A very small proportion of people (especially asians) can develop a pathological reaction to alcohol. This is often characterized by flushing, redness, palpitations, dizziness, nausea, palpitations, etc. This type of reaction, also known as a "alcohol flush reaction" is thought to be due to the deficiency of an enzyme which metabolizes alcohol.

However, I would advise you to report these symptoms to a doctor and have a detailed evaluation done in order to rule out any medical causes which could be causing your symptoms. If it is an alcohol flush reaction, then abstaining from alcohol may be the only way to prevent these symptoms from happening.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor