What causes exhaustion, lack of coordination, confusion and feet pain while on Gabapentin?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: FAMILY DOCTOR PRESCRIBED GABAPENTIN 300MG 3 TIMES DAILY FOR NEUROPATHY IN MY FEET. I HAVE BEEN TAKING IT FOR 2 WEEKS. HIS DIAGNOSIS WAS NEUROPATHY BROUGHT ON BY ALCOHOL ABUSE FOR APPROX 1 1/2 YEARS. I AM RECOVERED AND SOBER FOR 2 MONTHS. I VISIT HIS OFFICE ONCE A WEEK FOR BLOOD WORK. GLUCOSE HAS BEEN IN THE 94-102 AREA. LIVER ENZYMES ARE ELEVATED BUT HAVE BEEN DECREASING EACH WEEK. KIDNEY FUNCTION GOOD. I AM OVERWEIGHT. 315LBS. AND 5'10". TODAY I HAVE BEEN HAVING SPELLS OF EXTREME FATIQUE, LACK OF COORDINATION, CONFUSION, MUSCLE ACHES IN LEGS AND INCREASED PAIN IN FEET. I AM EATING WELL, DRINKING WATER GETTING A REASONABLE NIGHTS SLEEP. I DID TAKE MY THREE DOSES OF GABAPENTIN CLOSER TOGETHER THAN NORMAL. CAN THIS BE THE CAUSE OF THE SYMPTOMS OR IS THERE POSSIBLY ANOTHER MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM? I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT DIABETES BUT MY DOCTOR HAS BEEN ASSURING ME THAT I AM NOT DIABETIC.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
YOu are not diabetic!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported.

1. Being a one day observation, I will recommend we look into this longer. If these symptoms persist, it is unlikely that they are related to the closer medication doses. If they regress, then we can possibly conclude as such. However, we cannot conclude at this time. Keep me updated in the next 24hours.

2. Your blood sugars are normal. There are no concerns about diabetes at this time.

I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.