Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
124 Doctors are Online

Have swollen ankles, knee caps, pain, told have arthritis. Given tylenol, cellibrex, cortisone denied

I have been told that I have arthritis in both of my ankles . For the past year I have seen 3 doctors and all I get are pills. No one knows what type of arthritis I have.Both of my ankles are swollen and the past few days my right knee cap has swollen seen a doc. Today who gave me a prescription for Tylenol 3 to take with the cellibrex 200mg. Tried to get cortisone shot in knee no one will give it to me. Had a cortisone shot 10 months ago and I was fine. Tired of living with pain. Hope you can give me something more substantial for an answer. Thanks. Chris Shier
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  70
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello Chris,
Welcome at HCM.

I have read your question.It looks from your details that you are having swelling at your ankles & at knee.It looks that this swelling is not associated with redness & other inflammatory changes.This shows that this should not be inflammatory type of arthritis.Actually arthritis is of two type one is inflammatory & other is non inflammatory .In non inflammatory pattern the degenerative type of arthritis is included which includes osteoarthritis while in inflammatory type there are psoriatic ,reiter's,septic & gout type of arthritis.

If there is no other systemic disordr then you should ask from your rheumatologist to advise some investigations which includes CBC,ESR,CRP,ANTINUCLEAR ANTIBODIES,etc.

At present you should continue to have a good analgesic like combination of tramadol with paracetamol on prescription of your doctor.

Also take joint supplements like glucosamne & chondroitin sulfate.

Take the help of a physiotherapist .

Wear shoes with good insole .

Hope this all will help you.

With best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Rheumatologist Dr. Divya Agarwal's  Response
you need to see a rheumatologist, who should be able to run a few tests and probably do a joint aspiration with synovial fluid analysis, and that should definitely give an answer so as what type of arthritis you have.
because taking pain killers is not the solution to the problem,
also arthritis if not properly treated,can keep getting worse even when you are taking pain killers .
they only suppress pain but dont treat the underlying pathology.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor