Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
164 Doctors are Online

Have small hard spot/lump on chin, itchy, red. What could be this?

Hi, I have a small hard spot/lump on my shin, about the size of the head of a pen. Its not painful and is only itchy if i irritate it by prodding it, and is the same colour as the rest of my skin, unless I irritate it and it turns red. At first I thought it was an ingrown hair but I ve tried to locate a hair and cant see one. What could this be?
Asked On : Wed, 6 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  216
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I am Dr Mbong. The spot/bump/lump may be a million things. :-)

If it is not an ingrown hair, it can be an isolated rash from a bug bite (when you were asleep or did not notice). It could also be an isolated allergic rash or the onset of a folliculitis (boil) or infected sebaceous glands (some glands of the skin). It may also be a zit you got from swimming pool or close contact with someone who had the same rash.

I could also be a thousand other things. Give it time and if it persists, or gets bigger or too itchy or becomes filled with fluid or the skin over it changes color spontaneously or it becomes a wound, see a darmatologist for proper diagnosis.


Dr mbong
Answered: Wed, 6 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor