Have narcolepsy, have areas of depigmentation. Been on Xyrem. Should I discontinue medication?

Okay why not. I have narcolepsy and have been on several meds since diagnosed in 2000. One of the meds, xyrem, caused these painful white areas to form under the skin which eventually came ever so slowly through my skin. Like when you get a splinter and it eventually makes its way out. This went on for years and after seeing several specialists, no one could tell me what was causing the problem. It was only when I stopped taking xyrem, started again, then stopped again that I realized this was causing the skin problem. After the place heals which takes several months, I am left with areas of de-pigmentation. They are all over my body but the ones on my face have caused me to alter my lifestyle considerably. I have to wear layers of makeup to cover them and I am so self conscious that I spend most of my time alone at home or just with family. I'm wondering if there is any type of plastic surgery or other treatment to help make these white areas less noticeable. It's like vitiligo from skin trauma.
Tue, 11 Jun 2013