Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Have chronic tension in upper back, shoulders and neck. Is this herniated disc?

I had a massage for the first time yesterday. I've had chronic tension in my upper back, shoulders and neck. I also have mild scoliosis. This morning I was sitting up in bed, rolled my neck and heard a very loud pop from the base of my neck. I now can't move my neck to the right and have extreme sharp cramping pain in my neck and right shoulder. Is this a herniated disc or what? I have a heating pad on now, but I'm getting no relief. Thank you!
Asked On : Sat, 6 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Seems you have sprained,take anti-inflammatory with muscle relaxant and use cervical collar for 7days to avoid movement .go to orthopedist if it doesn't help.Hopefully it should work otherwise you would need MRI scan if pain and radiation to arm does'nt abate
Answered: Sat, 6 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Praveen Tayal's  Response
Thanks for writing to us.
The loud pop that you heard is likely to be due to a muscle spasm. It is best to get an X-ray of the area done if the pain is unbearable to rule out any bone injury. Pain killers and muscle relaxants can provide a short term relief.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal
Answered: Sun, 7 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,

Thanks for writing to us.

It seems that you had a muscle pull at neck.

You should give proper rest to your neck and shoulder. Do not lift heavy weights over it.

Antiinflammatory and muscle relaxant will provide some relief.

Take medicines under medical supervision only. Hot fomentation and application of local pain relieving gel will be helpful.. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Hope this helps you.

Wishing you good health...


Dr Saurabh Gupta.

Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Answered: Mon, 8 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor