Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Have androgenic alopecia. Applied minoxidil. Cause of alopecia?

sir my name manjuntah n iam aufering from androgenic alopecia from last 5 years from last 2 months back i consult one of good dermatoligst his name DR SHIVA YOGI .HE diagnosed my problem very nicely and he identified iam sufering from FEMALE PATERN OF BALDNES.and he said we can post pon it even after aplying the minoxdil also .before consulting him i already consulted 5 very good dermatolgist .no use simple they stopned my haire fal.but haire is not regrowthed.if look to my face my baldnes not visible.if focus by puting tarch on my scalp .my scalp look like globe.that means difused or thiining sir .i already losed nearly 35 thousand. and my in blod realtion no one sufering from alopecia condtion. i already aplied minioxdil 2/ and 5/.this is my scalp condition my question . why testosterone has going to conversion exces.when come in contact with androgen receptor.i know exces conversion of DHT IS MAJOR CAUSTIVE FACTOR for androgenic alopeca.and how many long periode .this proces is going in males.please tel me .and any specific blod test is there for identificatin of whether person sufering from androgenic alopecia. up to stil iam not taken finasteride tablet cause impotency in male. some deramtolgist said like if taken finasteride tablet upto 6 months to 1year nothintg wil hapen take it oraly.but iam not ready sir. my frontal lobe condition is good .but midle part of my scalp very difused.or thinned.very iam using minoxdil with aminexile.and taking tablet like KERAGLOW FOR MEN now my haire fal litle bit under the controle. if use the minoxdil very long periode like 5to 6 years.whether any result is there. and one of dermatolgist her name DR TINA .SHE saide SOMATROPINE (drug like) it wil stimulate the haire folicle. recently she saying i never told like that. k sir leave the al those maters .please advise any drug going activate or stablise my haire folicle.and with out any impotency causing.iam waiting for ur reply sir
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  454
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Geriatrics Specialist 's  Response
hi there,
nice to meet you in HCmagic,
first you have to know that the treatment for hairloss with medication takes about two to three years to get new follicles,so patience is main in treating hairloss,
one peculiar thing about the treatment,it has an increased loss of hair folllicles which are already there ,followed by new growth of follicles in successive years ,if you are on mid 30's ,otherwise you had the option of hair transplantation
Now am gonna explain you the modalities available in hair fall treatments

Early stages of hair loss can be slowed or reversed with medication, with FDA approved drugs being minoxidil and finasteride.
Topical formulations of finasteride have similar efficacy to systemic, though prostate weight and serum PSA levels were not measured to exclude systemic absorption of topical application as the cause of hair growth. Other systemic options include the longer acting dutasteride and spironolactone, the latter of which has a high rate of feminizing side effects.[citation needed]

More advanced cases may be resistant or unresponsive to medical therapy, and require hair transplantation. Naturally-occurring units of one to four hairs, called follicular units, are excised and moved to areas of hair restoration.
These follicular units are surgically implanted in the scalp in close proximity and in large numbers. The grafts are obtained from either Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) or Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE).
thats everything about the treatment of hairfall,
hope helped your query,
revert on me back if you have any feature doubts about hairfall
general physician
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dermatologist Dr. Surajit Gorai's  Response
welcome to hcm.
you gave a nice description.
probably you have androgenetic and diffuse type of hair loss.
front and central portions of our hairs are androgen sensitive.
back hairs are resistant to androgen.
one doc has told right that finasteride 1mg(used for this purpose) for short duration is almost devoid of side effect.
and the side effects like loss of libido,impotency occur only in 25-30% of patients.
so dont worry you can try it.
minoxidil,keraglo these will help if you continue.
but result is not satisfactory as per my personal experience.
as i have told our back hairs are androgen resistant.
so, if they are grafted in front they will not fall.
exactly that is done in 'hair transplantation'.
so it will be a good option for you.
don't be hopeless.
baldness is very common problem.
many persons are managing it without having treatment also.
best of luck.
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor