Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Have acid reflexes, feels like something stuck in throat. How to recuperate from ill effects of smoking?

Sir, I feel like something stuck in the right side of my throat near my chest . I have been smoking for 8 years (a pack a day) and now a quitter. I do get acid refluxes. I was in the UK for the last 3 years and it never happened to me there. But as soon as I left, I am getting this acid refluxes quite often. I wonder If my throat problem and acid reflux are somehow connected. Also advise me the best mean to recuperate from the ill effects of my smoking habit.
Asked On : Thu, 22 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello dear and welcome.

Thank you for your query.

Let me start with the reflux you are experiencing. This could be a condition called Gastro-esopohageal reflux disease (GERD).

This is a pathological reflux of acid from the stomach into the oesophagus (food pipe) which would in normal be prevented by a spincter (a kind of closing, that prevents food and liquids that reach the stomach to come back into the food pipe and in turn the mouth.

This happens due to the damage of that particular sphincter, called the upper esophageal sphincter.

The most common causes of this condition are:





Other symptoms of this condition are:

Heartburn (burning sensation in the chest, especially in the center of the chest)

Regurgitation or reflux of food particles

Upper abdominal (stomach) pain

Acid or salt reflux into the mouth

If your symptoms match, the best method to investigate this and confirm the diagnosis is:

A 24 hour pH monitoring


Kindly consult your doctor if you feel you could have this condition

Next let me help you with all the options for treatment of smoking:

1. Councelling is considered the best option, and always the first step

2. Nicotine gums, patch (as a substitute)

3. Medications (these are said the be the best and most effective treatment for smoking)

Kindly consult your family physician for treatment and follow his/her instructions

I hope this information has helped you.

Wishing you good health.
Answered: Fri, 23 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor