Does hypnosis help quit smoking?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Drug Abuse
Question: Doctor I have tried everything to quit smoking - What do you think about hypnosis?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's better to get group therapy & sessions with motivational psychologist

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's good to know what you had been trying lately.

Based on the history you have shared, i would suggest option for better non pharmacological ways, to follow like group therapies or sessions with motivational psychologists sessions. Smoking is more of a habit than addiction. Because even if necotine requirements had been met people still felt difficult to quit smoking. Nicotine chewing gums etc also cause side effects like gastric upsets. Non pharmacological measures help to counter the urge to smoke by evoking personal guilts, and motivate to overcome the habits slowly. One bad habbit can be replaced by some good one gradually. Hypnosis isn't an effective longterm mean to overcome it.

Wish you good luck for your efforts. Hope this has answered your question. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana