Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Foreskin had cuts, urethra is reddening. Had oral sex. Related?

Hello, roughly 6 months ago I had painful cuts on my foreskin and difficulty retracting my foreskin. I went to the Sexual health clinic and they said it was likely herpes , I had a swab and blood test and everything came back negative. I routinely have unprotected sex with my girlfriend (whom I lost my virginity to) and on two more occassions I have had penile irritation which have been diagnosed as simple thrush combined with mild phimosis ( a condition my father had). About a week ago I had a small rash after sex with my girlfriend, I went to a clinic and it was diagnosed as thrush. I now have reddening at the tip of my urethra , a burning sensation (although not when I urinate) and some aching of the joints. I have received oral sex only once prior to my current relationship and it was unprotected, I contacted the other person involved at the begining of this ordeal and they said they have never had any signs of herpes and when they visited a clinic no signs were found. My mental state is utterly horrendous at the moment and has been for some months, I am terrified that this is herpes. The worry is ruining my relationship and my everyday life, please help me to shed some light on this.
Asked On : Sun, 19 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  109
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dermatologist 's  Response
Jul 2012
Hi there. I empathise with your worry & your predicament. In my professional opinion from the facts supplied, it is NOT herpes. It is more likely candidal (fungal) balanitis & it is more likely than not that your girlfriend has recurrent fungal infection issues as is common in women. It is best to get both partners treated simultaneously. Also if you still are concerned at the back of your head it is herpes, then please do a blood test for herpes 1 & 2 (ask for IgG & IgM herpes testing)..the former will tell you if recent & the latter if long standing infection & are more sensitive. Life will soon be peachy again ;-) Cheers & good luck to you both. Should you wish further details or private consults, feel free to look me up on this portal & use the special 'ask-a-doctor' feature for a one-to-one consult.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist, Vikram Hospital, Bangalore
Answered: Wed, 22 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor