Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Fever, vomiting, cough, diarrhea, intestinal infection. Taking inbuprofen. What can be done?

My 22 month son has had a fever for 6 days now ranging from 101.7-104.3, vomiting for 5 days, cough for 3 days, dirrhea 3 times over 2 days, blood drpps with seeze.Went to ER on day 3 and was told URI vairal and keep giving fluids and rotating acetaminophen and I ibuprofen . He hasn t eaten more than a few goldfish crackers in 6 days, vomits most of what he drinks. Will only tolerate water without vomit. Went back to ER on day 5. No UTI. Now they say its viral intestinal infection. No stool sample, no CBC or BMP but infection? How does that work? I ve now been giving Gatorade and pedialyte via syringe . 5ml q 5min for an hour. He s drinking water ok. I m using a cool mist humidifier but nose still bleeds. Cough has developed to be more persistent at night. His doctor hasn t been able to see Jim until tomorrow. Could it be rotavirus or something else with fever lasting so long?
Asked On : Sun, 10 Mar 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  38
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
With your description,the child seems to be quite sick!
He may need some tests to find the cause of fever,atleast to be sure that it is only viral and a CBC to check the platelets in view of the bleeding .
He will need more fluids ( may not be enough with the syringe feeds) and check whether he is passing adequate urine.
Go back again if he continues to be sick like this. God bless Dr Uma
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
As 5 days passed and still all complains persisted, requires evaluation without delay.
Go for total blood count, urine routine and x-ray chest to come to conclusion.
Keep him hydrated.
Consult pediatrician and get examined before any complication occurs.
ok and bye.
Answered: Sun, 10 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor