Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
139 Doctors are Online

Extreme pain in left leg and it is hard to walk

i have extreme pain in left leg, hard to walk. pain comes from the buttock down the back of leg muscle and has my foot feeling kinda num. when im standing or walking it cramps and feels like its trying to draw up and bend. i even hurt when trying to go to the restroom in the same upper buttock. it seems to be progressivly getting worse.
Asked On : Mon, 6 Feb 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  288
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.
Your symptoms are suggestive of sciatica. Sciatica is nerve pain from irritation of the sciatic nerve. Sciatica is diagnosed with a physical exam and medical history. The typical symptoms and certain examination maneuvers help the health care professional to diagnose sciatica. Sometimes, X-rays and other tests, such as CT scan, MRI scan, and electromyogram, are used to further define the exact causes of sciatica.
Treatment options for sciatica include addressing the underlying cause,bed rest, medications to relieve pain and inflammation (including oral and injectable cortisone) and relax muscles, and physical therapy. A variety of low back conditioning and stretching exercises are employed to help people recover from sciatica.
I advice you to consult orthopedic surgeon for examination and treatment.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further queries.
Answered: Mon, 6 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
Hi,Welcome to HCm,
If you are elderly then it is more likely that you might have osteoarthritis and degenerative changes in your lumbo sacral spine giving rise to this problem.
Go for X ray lumbo sacral region and find out the cause and go for treatment accordingly.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Mon, 6 Feb 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor