Can lumbosacral degenerative disc disease lead to spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis?

Excellent

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
I ,ve had arthritis degenerative lumbosacral degenerative disc disease with strain for many years, recently I developed arthritis is the spine, and subsequently spinal stenosis. Are the 3 health issues relater and how? For example can one lead to another such as lumbosacral degenerative disease lead to osteoarthritis arthritis in my lower back and did the back arthritis leas to spinal stenosis? Bottom line I want to know if first disease lumbosacral degenerative disease either caused or lead to the spinal stenosis?

Tue, 15 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answers of your questions - lumbo-sacral degenerative disease

Detailed Answer:
Hi Wxxxxxxxx, thanks for asking from HCM.

I can understand your concern. You are suffering from degenerative lumbo-sacral disc disease, spine arthritis and canal stenosis. your age is 69 years which means degeneration process has already progressed. Now answering your question one by one.

- Are these pathologies related? Yes. These are related. Degenerative disc disease begins with disc changes, followed by abnormal weight distribution on facet joints, ligaments. Facet joint becomes hypertrophied and develop arthritis and ligaments increase in thickening, leads to spinal canal stenosis.

- Can one lead to another? Yes, as explained above. Degenerative disease involves multiple parts of spine - disc, facets, veterbral bodies, ligaments. It all occurs due to chronic wear-tear, weight lifting, ageing, repeated minor injuries of spine.

- Could spinal stenosis occurred due to it? Yes. It occurred due to it. It will be progressive, if you will not take care of your body. Avoid weight lifting (don't lift weight more than 3 kg), avoid forward bending, do stretching exercise, strengthen your lower back muscles which can share body weight and removes burden from spine, avoid obesity.

Hope you understood my point. If still in doubt, do let me know.
I will help you.
Thanks. Take care.

Follow-up: Can lumbosacral degenerative disc disease lead to spinal arthritis and spinal stenosis? 17 hours later
I have back X-rays, MRI report, and medical records from treatment from my Primary Care doctor that can be uploaded for review. Would that be enough for you to make a the necessary assessment and issue a valid statement for me to submit to my VA doctor for review. His opinion is that all three health issues are present but they are separate issues and not related to the degenerative lumbosacral degenerative disc disease with strain which I have suffered from for more than 10 years.

Answered by Dr. Ishu Bishnoi 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Send me the reports and medical records

Detailed Answer:
Ho Wxxxxxxxx, welcome back.

Please send me the medical records, MRI reports and films. It will help in understanding your spine and disease.
Please post your doubts also.

Thanks. Take care