Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

Experiencing severe cold sweats, chills after eating. BP above normal. Which doctor should we see ?

My father-in-law is very stubborn about going to see any type of doctor, much less an ER visit. After he eats (no particular pattern of food type), he has been experiencing severe cold sweats (sweat drenches his head and neck ), gets chills and feels clammy and experiences severe vomiting for hours until he dry heaves for a few more hours. After all of that suffering, he claims that he feels fine when it s all over. This has been occurring every few weeks over and over for years! If I can get him checked out, what specialist would you recommend? I m thinking a GI? His blood pressure is above normal but only slightly. He checks at home every day.
Asked On : Fri, 22 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  85
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that the episodes of vomiting after eating are related to GERD or peptic ulcer disease.
This would normally occur in response to fatty/fried/spicy/acidic foods , it causes buring pain, regurgitation of food and ,in some cases, vomiting.

In some cases of heart disease persons also experience episodes of sweating and feeling clammy. Vomiting can occur in chest pain if the pain is severe.

It would be best to visit a general practitioner who can go through the history and physical examination and determine which, if any specialist he needs to see. He or she can also suggest and perform any initial investigations and initiate treatment.

I hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 1 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor