Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
148 Doctors are Online

Edema in legs due to liver failure. Fluid discharge on getting the leg scratched. Need to go to emergency?

My friend is going through liver failure and has retained alot of water in his legs. I was moving a pillow under them to elevate his leg and accidently scratched it. It is seeping water, it is not a major amount but is steadily leaking, he sees the doctor tomorrow but i am wondering if this is serious and i should take him to a hospital now?
Asked On : Thu, 14 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  225
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, apotts6869,
Sorry to hear about your friend's condition. If he has retained a lot
of fluids , probably he has distended belly with fluid as well. I am not
sure if he has been on any water pills or diuretics. Elaevation of the legs
will help some but if he has massive ascites (Fluid in the abdomen) this
may not be enough. Seeping of fluid indicates advanced condition.
He has to be hospitalized, get a complete blood work up , including
kidney tests to make sure he is not going into kidney failure also.
He needs intravenous diuretics , nutritional support and careful medical
supervision to take care of any complications of cirrhosis like bleeding
or liver coma.
In answer to your question , yes, take him as soon as you can.
I wish him well.
Answered: Fri, 15 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor