Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Done EKG and holter monitor test for blackouts and pain above elbow. History of right bundle branch block and leaky mitral valve. Explain?

I am a young looking and healthy looking 59 year old female with a history of a right bundle branch block and leaky mitral valves who was born with this condition, my mother was exposed to fallout from Hanford Nuclear Base, Washington in 1953 and my father worked for Hanford. I recently had an echo with EKG , a 24-hour Holter Monitor , and two part nuclear stress test. They have never seen that type of a heart beat on the echo/EKG before, and on my 24 hour holter monitor test I had 1 ventricular ectopic, 40 supraventricular ectopics and 19 beats of atrial fibrillation . They are still trying to figure out what is wrong with my heart. I often get pounding heart beats, heart flutters, sometimes I get parcial blackouts, and sudden sharp stabbing pain just above my left elbow. My heart has gotten a lot worse in the last 4 years. Can you explain? I have never been to a cardiologist because I don t think they will know what is really wrong with me and prescribe a medication that will stop my heart. I also have arthritis , fibromyalgia, intrastitial systitis, ADHD, and major sleep apnia which has thrown me into pounding heart arrhythmia and stopped me from breathing. Please explain
Asked On : Mon, 2 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

     THE FIRST STEP IS TO SEE A CARDIOLOGIST – Irregular heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity like exercise, one needs Holter or event monitor
     ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary for further assessment and assistance. If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, you may need Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST. The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.
     The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.
The prognosis is generally good. Discuss with your doctor...

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 26 Jul 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor