Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Diarrhea, numbness in arm on waking up, dry mouth, fatigue, sweating, mucus in stools. At what point should he be taken to ER?

My son is 15 years old and has had diarrhea 16 days. He s been to the pediatrician and she s ordered a stool sample but I m worried about dehydration . We Sony know what s wrong and he s experiencing symptoms such as, waking up with arm from elbows to tips of fingers numb (fail asleep), fatigue, dry mouth, sweating while sleeping, loss of appetite, mucus in diarrhea and possibly more symptoms he s unaware of as being important. He s not running fever, no blood in stool . At what point do I start to worry an bring him to the ER?
Asked On : Tue, 29 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Hi Corrie.Melsom,
Thanks for writing your quuery.

Diarrhoea for about 2 weeks, should be properly investigated and managed.
Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can occur if diarrhoea is present for long periods.

He should be given antibiotic and antiamoebic according to the reports of the stool sample along with antacid and probiotic preparation.

Special care should be taken on his diet to prevent dehydration.
He should should be adequately hydrated. If needed, he can be given Oral Rehydratiion Fluids.
He should be given light meals with less spice and oil.

He should be taken to the ER if the problem is persisting or if dehydration or loss of electrolytes occurs. This can present as confusion, irritability, etc.
Decrease in urine output should be monitored and if there is evidence of decreased urinary output, he should be immediately taken to the ER.

I hope this is helpful to you.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor