Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Diagnosed with cartilage inflammation, post angiography. Why is there fluctuating fever?

patient experiencing spiking temp, 101.8 with mild chills and clammy skin. has 2 days ago been to see doctor with pain in one side of rib cage( hurts when inhaling)- put on pain killers and diagnosed with cartilage inflammation. patient is post (non- intervention) angiography 12 days ago! could his symptoms of spiking fever bee related to him having developed endocarditis???
Asked On : Tue, 26 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  104
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Allergist and Immunologist 's  Response
Fever such as this and when spiking needs a thorough investigation especially given the history of a procedure done 48 hours before.
Endocarditis is a possibility and MUST be excluded given the serious consequences this can have.
A full clinical check, bloods such as hemogram, LFTs, infection screen with blood c/s, CRP, Chest X Ray, ECG, 2D-ECHO are minimum investigations to start with.
Control the temperature with plain paracetamol 1g upto twice daily 12 hrs apart and wait for the infection screen results.
Costochondritis especially viral ones can cause high temperatures, chest pains with non-specific ECG changes but the important thing to exclude is pericarditis (lining of the heart inflamed).

Best Wishes.
Answered: Thu, 6 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor