Diagnosed marginal low thyroid. Medication stopped, sensitive to drugs. Any tests to get accurate result?

Will a standard blood test reveal low thyroid levels? My sister, a breast cancer survivor age 56 was diagnosed with marginal low thyroid. She took the medication and then stopped. She is really sensitive to drugs. Her skin is dry and most of all her hair is falling out ( no chemo for 7 years). Wen through menopause at age 50. Is there a more telling test that is more accurate? She took tomixifin for 4 years and stopped that one year ago.
Tue, 19 Feb 2013