Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Depressed, feel alone. How to control the sadness ?

I am really depressed and have been for a number of years now. I can t talk to my parents about it and theres nobody else to help me, counselors at my school try to involve my parents against my wishes so they re no help. I feel alone and nobody knows how much I wish to just not wake up one day. I m not suicidal, I just wouldn t mind not having to live anymore. I also can t help but cut myself and sometimes now I just do it purely to watch myself bleed . I don t know how to control my sadness anymore.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  36
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Dec 2014
Hello Lisa****
thanks for your question
first of all I would like to tell you that depression is very common in present time and its no longer considered stigma. Depression is a illness like any other medical illness. Deficiency of certain neurotransmitters is culprit in depression. Although you are not suicidal but you have death wishes which is not right. Life is a precious gift and we have to live for ourself, our parents. So at least take my advise and try not to think about death for a while.
If you don't want to discuss with parents then discuss it with any close friend or sibling if possible as you will find ways to cope.
In depression cognitive therapy is very important part of treatment.
To control you sadness you have to start thinking about life in a different prospective. Feeling negative about future (hopelessness), about self (worthlessness), and others (helplessness) are main features that further worsen depression.
So start to hit each domain one by one, try to re memorize any good time of life or any time of life when you were very happy, then feel the difference in yourself then and now. Try to make your self short and small goals in life and when you are in condition to achieve them then celebrate your success. Try to avoid thinking about future, live in present and live every moment.
If you can't do all this you can take help of some Antidepressant drug for some time and then control yourself by own.
hope i solved your concern to some extent
kindly rate :)
take care all the best
you can do it.
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

I'm sorry to hear that you have been going through a difficult time. From the description of your symptoms, it is likely that you could be suffering from dysthymia - a form of chronic, low grade depression. But, in addition to these depressive symptoms, your self-harming / cutting behaviours are also concering and may point to unhealthy personality traits.

If you feel that your parents or your school counsellors are not helping you, then you can ask them to arrange for you to see a psychiatrist. You can also take the help of a some other relative or family friend to help and guide you through the process of therapy. So, please talk to someone whom you can trust and ask for professional help. Alternatively, you can also call up the child helpline or suicide hotline to get professional assistance.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Tue, 19 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor