What causes dry mouth after taking steroids post tooth extraction?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been having dry mouth after having some infection of the teeth. Had two bad ones extracted. My ENT special9st has prescribed steroid for me. I take lot of medicines including Zolof. How is the interaction? I was reading on WebMD that steroids can have severe side effects. The name of the steroid is Methylprednisolone. The dose is 6 tabs the first day, followed by 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 per day. It seems like my anti depressant is reacting with the medicine. Kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Further inputs needed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Could you please specify which antidepressant you are on (is it Zoloft only)? It will help me to let you know that whether a drug interaction is possible. Furthermore, please mention what makes you think that the drugs are reacting.

Meythylprednisolone and Zoloft (sertaline) can have drug interactions. Whether it is concerning would depend on the severity of manifestations.

I will await your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
I am taking only Zolof, 400 mg per day.
I have been taking other medications also e.g.
HBP, HAB, Lipitor, Medicine for high blood sugar,
Beta blockers etc.
I don’t feel good ever since I have started taking steroids which is yesterday, got a nagging headache, feeling of nausea and general weakness
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please mention the reason for which the medicines were prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the updates. However, I could not procure the requisite information from the details. It is apparent that you are facing some adverse effects but that does not mean that the drugs are reacting. You have still not told the reason for which the steroids were prescribed.

In any case, the steroids should not be stopped abruptly but can be rapidly tapered off. I would insist you to urgently approach your doctor (or the ER) for the same.