Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Dark skin blotches over chest, back, shoulder, spreading, looking like rash. What could be this?

hey doc. im hoping you can answer this mystery that has been bothering for some time regarding my skin..
Im a 22 year african american southern california native with what i would say is an average complexion for a black dude and ever since i was maybe 12 or 13, about the time i entered adolescence, i have started to notice these darkened skin blotches began to appear all over my chest, back, and shoulders. Its has the appearance of a rash, but it does not itch, its more or less dry skin patches that continue to spread as i grow older and they connect with other patches to create a larger patch. It seems to cover the area that would not be visible if i were to wear a t-shirt, which is confusing because its not like i can say its cause from sun damage. I have always routinely moisturize with lotion and even more recently i have use coco butter and Aloe Vera gel on a daily basis but that seems to not make any difference, and once again it only appears around my torso area and not anywhere else. Because i have never really had consistent insurance coverage to request a check-up and gain any real knowledge of my condition. I need to know if you can provide and guidance or knowledge of what i may have and what my next move would be.
Asked On : Thu, 4 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  54
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi, thanks for your query.

After going through the information you have provided it seems that you have tinea versicolor in which there is a non itchy scaly rash chest , upper arms, shoulders, back.
It is a fungal infection and is seen in adolescent age group.

Treatment includes:
Oral anti fungal tablets and local anti fungal creams. Treatment usually eliminates the fungal infection. However, the discoloration of the skin may take up to several months to resolve.

Avoid applying moisturizers ad wear loose cotton clothing.

You may contact a dermatologist for exact diagnosis and treatment.

Hope this helps you.
Answered: Sat, 22 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor