Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Constant belching, extreme on exercising, occasional smoker. Will ENT specialist help?

I have been having continuous belching issues for over the past 9 months. I have seen a gastro doctor in which they gave me some medication to ease my stomach. This did not help. It seems to be the most extreme when exercising (running, hockey, tennis). I will also occasionally smoke cigarettes, and this also seems to escalate my burping. Is this something an ENT specialist would be able to investigate?
Asked On : Fri, 12 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

It seems you are suffering from gastro-esophageal reflux disease, which is one of the commonest causes of belching. Exercise worsens it by increasing intra-abdominal pressure. Try exercise at least 3-4 hours after food. Smoking also worsens it. You were right to see a gastro-enterologist as some conditions like hiatus hernia, peptic ulcer etc need to be ruled out. If his treatment has not benefitted you, ask for a change in prescription. Also try to avoid ingesting air while eating/exercising.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 18 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor