Child has umbilical granuloma, oozing, treated with silver nitrate. Can it wait?

My granddaughter who is 6 weeks old currently has an umbilical granuloma that still oozes and was treated with silver nitrate two days ago. Today my daughter noticed a darkened ring around the umbilicus that suddenly appeared late in the day. It is not red, warm to touch and baby does not have a fever . Is this concerning or can it wait to be evaluated tomorrow?
Tue, 25 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Hi
Silver nitrate cauterizes the granuloma tissue and causes it to become dry
There should not be oozing now.get a consult to rule out infection.
The dark circle may be a spill over from cautersation but one cannot be sure unless we see it.
Newborn babies do not manifest with fever when they are infected so not having fever does not rule out infection.
All the best
Pediatrician, Surgery Dr. Santosh Kumar Mahalik's  Response
Hi
Treatment of Umbilical granuloma with silver nitrate sticks is known to cause burns around umbilicus. I prefer conservative management with application of common salt which is benificial in most of my cases. As per your details, the baby had developed darkened ring around umbilicus after silver nitrate application... i think this is to be "chemical BURN". Do not worry, apply some burn cream over it and make sure to visit the concerend doctor.