Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Child has chest pain, hurts to breath, x-ray shows enlarged vessel. Serious?

Hello! I took 12 year son to the hospital as he was having chest pain and it hurt him to breath last week. The nurse at his school insisted I take him as his blood pressure was 147/98 and she indicated that this was high for his age. They did a chest xray and have advised me he has a enlarged vessel and he needs to see a cardiologist . I am kind of nervous, obvisously. Is this anything to be alarmed with?
Asked On : Wed, 3 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  18
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response

Thanks for your query.

The blood pressure of 147/98 mm Hg. for a 12 year boy is certainly high. As it must have been there for some time the heart chambers do enlarge. As it is not clear from your post which vessel is enlarged, it is not possible to comment on it. Your son certainly needs to be seen by a cardiologist and his BP monitored regularly. If it remains high then he needs to be on medication while the cause is being investigated.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Do revert back in case you require any clarification or have information to share.

Wishing your son all the best.


Answered: Thu, 4 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor