Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Child accidentally ingested kerosene. What to do?

Hi me and my brother were just talking and I turn around around and my daughter got a hold of this old lamp that we had and it had kerosene in it it and I m not sure if she drank it but she spilled it all over her clothes I took her bath and brushed her teeth and she s fine but I m freaking out I m not sure if she drank it and if she did I dnt know how muc
Asked On : Mon, 4 Mar 2013
Answers:  4 Views:  336
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pediatrician 's  Response

Kerosene is a a hydrocarbon fuel which is not absorbed by tummy but can lead to aspiration pneumonitis if child vomits or due to the fumes it eminates.Hence what you did was right remove and wash the area where kerosene had spilled.Now since we don't know whether how much reached her tummy one needs to observe her ideally in hospital setting when in case her breathing rate increases she could be give supplementary oxygen and pneumonia treated accordingly.So I guess get in touch with your pediatrician and let him assess whether she has pnemonitis.


Take care.
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Emergency Medicine Specialist Dr. Sheeba Stephen's  Response

Hello and welcome to health care magic. Thanks for your query.

As per your description you are not sure that your child has consumed kerosene or not.
Kerosene causes skin irritation and dryness, Good that you gave her a bath and decontaminated the skin.

Do not induce vomiting, because it can enter the wind pipe and causes respiratory distress.

Look for alarming signs like- dizziness, vomiting, convulsion, respiratory distress, restlessness, loss of consciousness

If eyes are exposed then give immediate eye wash with water.

I would suggest you to seek medical help as early as possible, because kerosene is known to cause chemical pneumonitis and respiratory distress if the child is injested or inhaled kerosene

Wish you all the best
( Emergency consultant)
Answered: Tue, 5 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your quey,
Kerosene ingestion leads to aspiration of kerosene in to lungs which may lead to aspiration pneumonia.
And kerosene absorption into blood may lead to effects on nervous system causing drowsiness and some time seizures.
So I advise you tpo take your child to Pediatrician or emergency as early as possible to assess the signs of kerosene ingestion and to look for any signs of aspiration into lungs.
Child should be kept for observation for atleast 24 hours to monitor these things and investigations like chest x ray to look for any lung involvement.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty's  Response

Thanks for writing to health care magic.
Now please monitor her cough and breathing rate.

If she develops cough and fast breathing, it could mean aspiration of kerosene and requires admission and investigations.

Please be careful with kids and child proof your house for the hazards that may occur.
You may contact me with further details on the following URL...........

In such scenario the questions are directly forwarded to me .............. and I can answer your queries regarding your kid online regularly.

Hope this helps.
Take care

Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Answered: Mon, 4 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor