Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Chest infection, swollen glands, sore throat, ear in pain. What does this mean?

I am prone to developing chest infections on a regular basis (at least once every 2-3 months) and they can last anywhere between 2-3 weeks and several months. At my worst I had been suffering from a chest infection for a full year and a half and was sent for a chest x-ray, then blood tests to check for a variety of things, including glandular fever. Afterwards I was referred to an ENT specialist who used a camera to check the inside of my nose and throat and he also checked my ears. All of these tests led to no definitive answers and I was told simply to wait it out. I have also had antibiotics several times but they have never helped. My glands are permanently swollen on one side of my neck, with the other side flaring up occasionally.

I am not a smoker but I do live with smokers and whilst I do my best to avoid second hand smoke it is not possible to completely stay away from in my current living environment. I take vitamins and drink plenty of fluids and try to rest whenever I am unwell but all to no avail.

In the last couple of days I have developed a sore throat that makes it difficult to swallow. My glands are more swollen than usual and my ears are also in some pain. I do not have a runny/blocked nose as I normally do with chest infections or colds, but I do have some minor muscle aches and am feeling fatigued.

Are you able to give any ideas as to what this might be? And why it is that these problems keep occurring? After so many trips to doctors, hospitals and specialists I am still at a loss and the problems are still not remedied. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated as this has been a recurring problem for about five years now.

Asked On : Thu, 18 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  128
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi Thanks for using HCM. I appreciate your proper explaination.

The present condition suggests infection in upper respiratory tract. Take plenty of fluids , preferably warm water, do salt water gargle, steam inhalation and start with antibiotics like Tab. azithromycin 500 mg once daily for 3 days and tab Paracetamol 650 mg three times a day.
For your chronic illness, since no one has come to any conclusion, get done one spirometry test, absolute eosinophil count to rule out COPD or asthma. Start Tab Montelukast 10 mg once a day, this may reduce both cigarette induced or allergen induced asthma. Hope this will help you. Take care.

Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General & Family Physician Dr. Alekhya's  Response
after looking a your case i guess may be you are infected withm.tuberculosis in which it will not be treated only with antibiotics but it needs a special 6months course to reduce your symptoms and your disease.You must take PPD skin test to rule out tb.And because of that infection your glands means your lymphnodes are enlarged.And consult a pulmonologist for further treatment and precautions to be given by him.hope this information might help you my answer is completely based on your history as you did so many tests but not ppd so i am suggesting you that.Thank you.
Answered: Thu, 27 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor