Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Chest X-ray showed undetermined PTB activity, advised pulmonary clearance. How does the process function?

Hi Doctors! I had my pre employment medical exam last week. I was alarmed when my employer said that the result of my chest xray says PTB undetermined activity. I dont smoke and my family does not have a history of such disease. What do I do? my employer advised me to get a pulmonary cleanance from the pulmonologists, may I know how the process goes? thank you and GOD bless
Asked On : Fri, 13 Jul 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  989
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pulmonologist 's  Response
hello megu.nakadai

thank you for choosing our forum

i am concerned about your situation and i would ask you to get sputum for acid fast bacilli done for 2 consecutive days. get a repeat chest x-ray done. the presence of acid fast bacilli is the gold standard for diagnosis of PTB. you can also take a simple antibiotic course for 14days if sputum negative and get a repeat chest x-ray to look for clearance.
visit a pulmonologist and he can give you clearance if sputum results are negative.

wish you a good health and success

Dr. Gurpreet Narula
Answered: Fri, 13 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response

Active Pulmonary TB normally would be symptomatic. You seem to be asymptomatic. In that case the X-ray shadow seems to be an old scar/ calcification. However, as suggested by other doctors in the forum, get evaluated for any activity. The concern by your employer is right as active TB is an infectious disease and an affected employee can spread it to other employees.

Rememeber that TB is an infectious disease. It spreads by spitting on roads and careless coughing by people in our society (including TB patients). TB has nothing to do with smoking or family history. Lets take an example... If i drink contaminated water, I will get diarrhoea. Has it anything to do with my family history or smoking history?

-Dr. Tushar
Answered: Sat, 14 Jul 2012
  User's Response
you need to consult physician specialist in chest diseases.
Get a consultation and get the tests done as advised to find out the status of the P T B if it is there .
Discuss with your doctor and get the required report if you are free of active P T B .
with best wishes .
Answered: Fri, 13 Jul 2012
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor