• question-icon

What causes fever after taking Tdap vaccination?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello Doctor,

I got TDAP Vaccination on Thursday Evening and started feeling fever in next few hours. The fever is ranging between 99.1 and 100.1 degrees from last 2 days.
Please let me know if this is a normal behavior after vaccination and how much time it will take to get to normal temperature. I am taking Tylenol from past 2 days.

Thanks & Regards,
Ashish
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
any vaccination can cause a bit of reaction and fever.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX welcome to Health care magic,

I wonder why Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis vaccination was advised at an older age.
However, any vaccination can cause a bit of reaction and fever. Not to worry. It should clear up within a week.
Take Tylenol as and when required.
But if it builds up or lasts longer--consult your doctor.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Geeta Sundar 21 minutes later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the advise. Actually my wife is 8 Months pregnant, hence doctor mentioned that she and whoever is going to be close to babyneeds to take the TDAP vaccination. Request you to advise if I should avoid asking my parents to go for TDAP Vaccination.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No there is no harm in taking

Detailed Answer:
No there is no harm in taking---especially if they have not been properly vaccinated in childhood, including booster around 14 years of age, or their immunity is low as for example they have Diabetes or Rheumatoid illness. There is only a mild chance of their getting the infection for which the vaccination is being given in a mild form--

I doctors are advising, go with their advise.
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Geeta Sundar