• question-icon

Changed to butran from fentlyl patch. Sweating profusely. How to make patch stay longer?

I have been on a fentlyl patch for quite awhile, my dr. switched me to a butran patch. My major problem is getting the patches (either kind) to stay on my skin. I sweat profusely and even with a tegaderm patch over it it comes off. Is there any way to make sure the patch remains on my skin, it doesn't seem to matter where I put it?My skin is as extremely sensitive and is starting to bliste r. I'm so upset that I can't keep the patches on this has been a true pain releiver (fentyl) and now I can't seem to keep either one on I have fibromyalgia
Wed, 4 Sep 2013

It seems to me that you are suffering from hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition in which a person sweats excessively and unpredictably. Sweating helps the body stay cool. In most cases, it is perfectly natural. People sweat more in warm temperatures, when they exercise, or in response to situations that make them nervous, angry, embarrassed, or afraid. You may be suffering from primary or secondary hyperhidrosis. The later requires identification and treatment of an underlying condition that might be responsible for the secondary hyperhidrosis. Where as the second requires general measures for treatment of hyperhidrosis.
In order to treat this, you may require antiperspirants (unfortunately most are used only under the armpit).
Your doctor maybe required to write you are script for anticholinergics drugs, such as glycopyrrolate (Robinul, Robinul-Forte), which help to prevent the stimulation of sweat glands.
There are other treatment options that can be discussed with your doctor.
Ones this over sweating is controlled, you may then be free to use the patches without them falling off and hence the pain due fibromyalgia maybe controlled.
Also note that, if fentanyl is effective to control your pain, it can also be effective as oral regimen. Do ask your doctor for alternative route of administration of fentanyl.

Hope this helps