• question-icon

Sudden profuse sweating, high body temperature. History of heart attack and pituitary tumor. Thyroid problem?

hi, the other day al of a sudden i started swetting profusely . it last 30 minutes and went away. now i started getting beads of sweat on my forehead and i felt warm so i checked my temporature and it's 96.4. i take blood pressure med and had a heart attack in march and am also on effient and some other meds.
i also had a pituatary tumor removed successfully march 2008, transphenoidally. i also had my gaul bladder emoved in 2010 because of accute pancreatitis. what do you think about the swetting and low temporature? thyroid?
thanks
Thu, 1 Aug 2013

Thanks for posting on HCM,

You are suffering from a condition known as hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is a medical condition in which a person sweats excessively and unpredictably. People with hyperhidrosis may sweat even when the temperature is cool or when they are at rest. You are probably having a secondary hyperhidrosis (secondary to another diseases condition). There are several causes of this condition which include but not limited to anxiety conditions, cancer, carcinoid syndrome, certain medications and substances of abuse, glucose control disorders, heart disease, hyperthyroidism, infections etc. These causes are the ones you are must likely going to have given your case history.
I suggest you pay a visit to an internist or physician who can run some few tests and determine the cause of your over sweating, after which he may provide some treatment.

Hope this helps

General & Family Physician Dr. Shekhar Deo's  Response
Hi, Welcome to HCM.

Low body temperature and sweating can be due to many causes. Hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormones) particularly since you have undergone surgery of your pituitary gland. There is a possibility that your TSH is low and not stimulating your thyroid gland to produce enough thyroid hormones. Second, disturbance in the hypothalamus in the brain as it maintains normal body temperature. Third, low blood pressure (hypotension) can cause sweating as well particularly since you are on blood pressure lowering medications. I will advise you to consult your primary physician and get your condition examined.

Hope this helps.