Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Bump on face above cheekbone filled with pus. Hot compress, creams not working. Treatment?

I have a quarter size bump on the right side of my face above my cheekbone. It had a head yesterday and I was able to get a small amount of puss out but not completely. And today it has no head and ive tried a warm compress and it still won t come to a head. I have been putting cream on it and nothing is working. I don t know what to do about it and it s very noticeable. Any advice?
Asked On : Wed, 4 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  293
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
After going through your history it seems that you have bacterial infection and most likely it is forming abscess, commonly it starts as Impetigo usually caused by
Staphylococcus aureus, and sometimes by Streptococcus pyogenes.
Please consult Physician /Dermatologist.
Topical(mupirocin), or oral antibiotics are usually prescribed. Treatment may involve washing with soap and water and letting the impetigo dry in the air.
Oral antibiotics, such as dicloxacillin, flucloxacillin or erythromycin.
It may drain spontaneously or may need surgical incision rarely.
Please keep good personal hygiene and take care of you healthy diet.
There is nothing to worry if you have repeated abscess then you should also check your blood sugar level to rule out Diabetes.
Take care.
Good Luck.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Answered: Wed, 12 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor