What causes pimples on the face while on a weight-loss diet?
Hello Dr, I am doing good. I am on diet and I lost 2 kgs in just 25 days. Now my concern is I am getting lots of pimples on the face, it started appearing just 20 to 25 days back. I really don't know what is the cause of this problem. Kindly advice Thanks
different options available to you
Sorry for the delayed reply
Wow, congrats on the weight loss, that's great.
Sorry for the acne though. This can sometimes occur with a change in diet unfortunately.
Acne can be affected by diet, stress or other factors but medically speaking it is related to--(1) increased production of oily fatty substance made in the skin called sebum
(2)inflammation of the skin
(3)plugging of hair follicles
(4)presence of a particular bacteria
There are a lot of acne washes available but most have salicylic acid , this is not very effective.
The gold standard for acne involves the use of a topical retinoid such as tretinoin, adapalene, tazarotene, isotretitoin but getting one of these may require a prescription from your doctor.
You need to consider searching for a wash or cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it, there are over the counter acne face washes/creams with this product.
Benzoyl helps to kill the bacteria and also helps to unplug the follicles.
Topical antibiotics also kill the bacteria and they help to reduce inflammation as well
There are some creams that combine benzoyl peroxide with a topical antibiotic eg BENZAMYCIN (has erythromycin which is antibiotic and benzoyl peroxide) and ZIANA/VELTIN (has clarithromycin and benzoyl peroxide)
If you can get one of these, that would be helpful.
If the acne is severe then you may a medication like EPIDUO which combines benzoyl peroxide with a retinoid
If you cannot get any combination then just use a benzoyl peroxide wash or cream, should work.
Summary---(1) BENZOYL PEROXIDE wash or cream, available over the counter should help
(2) if the acne is mild then a combination cream/wash or benzoyl with a topical antibiotic may be effective
(3)if it is severe then combination with topical retinoid
(4)if very severe and does not respond to topical medication, then oral tablets may be needed
Hope this helps, if it is not clear, feel free to let me know
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is causing regular weight loss when having proper diet
- What are the causes of slow weight loss
- What is the cause of dizziness and rapid weight loss
- What causes abdominal discomfortbloating and weight loss with constipation
- What is the advisable diet for weight loss
- What causes sudden weight loss and pain in neck
- What causes sudden weight loss with anxiety
- Persistent vomiting weight loss what could be the cause
- What causes weight loss in a new born baby
- What causes drastic weight loss
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?