Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online

Black, fishy smelling stool. Pain in groin and hip joints. Taken Iron. Cause for concern?

Should i be worried? I have been having black fishy smelling stool, mostly constant, for months. when its not its dark brown and liquid or bright white-orange and slimy.
Smears green grey, isnt 100% solluable in water if diarrhea; sits on top of water or as droplets in water almost like oil but also turns water dark orange-grey-brown.
Pain on far left side at belt line like bad gas or a red hot poker, sometimes on right like stabbing rock and pain down into groin and hip joints and shooting as far up as rip cage on left.
originally diagnosed as epiploic appendigitis but never got better after almost half a year.
was on iron for poor iron absorption and a strong left shift in blood that seen on the CBA done as part of the diagnosis.
thought the colour might be that but it didn't go away without the iron.
have had 'episodes' of this since birth but never for over 8 months.
aunt had same and it did not end well for her.
what is it; is there cause for concern?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  104
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi ! You have not mentioned whether your stool got tested or not for ova/cyst. It does not look like a case of appendicitis as the pain is more on the left. It goes more towards chronic collitis may be an amoebic collitis. In that case a course of Metronidazole might solve the problem. But consult your doctor before starting on the drug.
Sometimes, a diet very much rich in fat may also give rise to such characteristics in the stool. I would suggest you to modify your dietary habits towards more of roughage and liquids and see if that helps.
Iron ingestion may give rise to slight blackish discolouration of the stool, but it should go away once it is off.
You are advised to consult a gastro-enterologist in person who can clinically examine you, and may advise on some specialised investigations to arrive at a conclusion.
Hope this helps you.
Answered: Fri, 26 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor